Wednesday, November 7, 2007

&%$*ing Gravity Hammer...


Day 7


One of the great things about being the parent of young children is that everything is really very simple. All you really have to do is change their diapers, put some food in them and keep them from running into traffic. It can’t really get any more straightforward than that, now can it?

And before you get your knickers in a twist, I didn’t say parenting is easy, just simple. Never confuse the two. Anyway, I’ve found that as the years have gone by and my fair-haired tots have grown, much of that simplicity is disappearing just as quickly as the clothes and shoes they outgrow. In short, they’re real people now, and just like big people, they come with big baggage. Should they be allowed out after dark? Who are they hanging out with? When should I expect my first visit from the cops at my front door? Not so simple anymore.

But luckily enough, they’ll never be too old to enjoy some of life’s simpler pleasures, not the least of which is picking up a 360 controller and kicking my ass in Halo 3. Just like the old days, it doesn’t get any simpler than that. I try my damnedest at slayer, big team battles and lone wolf, but the result is the same: ,I die. ,Repeatedly. ,And usually in a big embarrassing mess of plasma grenades and gravity hammers. Grrrr.

It’s actually starting to make me a little crazy because even though Halo is one of the very few things in life I’m actually trying to get good at, the skills necessary are clearly beyond me. But hey, I just have to keep reminding myself that I’m a lucky dad and I still have my two bright-eyed lads right at my side…, even as they’re busy assassinating me from behind with a laser. At least it’s simple... , for them.

=

No comments: